This new sensation in salad preparation is perfect for any occasion, but we suggest it as a particularly good choice for a girls' Saturday lunch. The delicious mix of Puy lentils, trendy freekeh and that hot favourite, halloumi, combine to provide a varied flavour sensation which will tickle your tastebuds to full capacity. Subtly flavoured lentils and avocado are complemented by the tangy, salty flavours of the halloumi, which is also the main source of warmth in this Winter salad. Traditionally a cold dish, this warming salad provides a Wintery alternative to the traditional Summer meal. This salad is quick and easy, and you can prepare it in advance by following this recipe until the end of stage two (but leaving off the rocket).
HOW TO MAKE LENTIL SALAD
- 250g pouch of ready-to-eat Puy lentils
- 250g pouch of ready-to-eat freekeh
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 roasted red pepper, sliced
- 200g cooked beetroot, sliced
- 80g bag rocket
- 250g halloumi, sliced
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds
- Small handful of fresh mint leaves
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 tsp dried mint
- To make the dressing, mix together the oil, lemon juice, orange juice and dried mint, and season well.
- Tip the lentils and freekeh into a large bowl and mix together with a fork to separate the grains. Add the avocado, pepper, beetroot, rocket and most of the dressing, carefully stir through and divide between serving plates.
- Fry the halloumi for 2-3 minutes on each side in a non-stick frying pan until golden, and add to the salad. Drizzle over the remaining dressing and scatter over the mixed seeds and mint leaves to serve.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
11 inspirational poetry quotes that will get you thinking
These inspirational poetry quotes from the likes of William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and Maya Angelou pack a powerful punch
By Arielle Tchiprout • Published
The strange reason this expert wants you to continue wearing masks
Masks can help save you from infection and disease, but can wearing a face mask also help you get a date? This study suggests so...
By Laura Harman • Published
The Queen's death will induce 'ethical earthquake' as royals behave like 'free-riders', warns broadcaster
The Royal Family will face major challenges when the Queen dies, says Andrew Marr
By Emma Dooney • Published