This creamy leek and potato soup recipe is great for a starter, as it has a beautiful smooth texture and a mild taste. Scatter crusty croutons on top for added luxury. The soup also makes for a tasty dinner when served with fresh bread rolls. It is warming and filling, which makes it the perfect comfort food, and you can freeze it too. Leek and potato are both good sources for dietary fiber, so they make your body feel great and healthy. This recipe is for six people but if you need less, don’t cut down the ingredients! Instead, make the full amount and freeze the rest so that you have delicious soup at the ready when you are in the mood for a really quick and easy dinner.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? We have plenty of other tasty soup recipes for all occasions.
HOW TO MAKE LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and leeks, cover and sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes until soft but without any colour. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, pour on the stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Liquidise the soup, return to a clean pan and add the cream. Reheat, without boiling, taste for seasoning then ladle into warmed soup bowls. Scatter over the chopped chives and serve immediately.
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 450g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 850ml (1½ pt) light chicken stock or water
- 150ml (¼pt) whipping cream
- chopped chives, to garnish
Black Friday vacuum deals: This Shark cordless vacuum cleaner is now its lowest price EVER on Argos
Roll up, roll up: the Black Friday vacuum deals have landed, and you can now get this Shark Cordless vacuum for its best price ever at Argos.
By Kate McCusker •
Clarins Black Friday: These unbelievable offers will save you a tonne on the luxury brand
Bag bargains on this premium skincare here
By Aleesha Badkar •
Black Friday Liz Earle deals: Get up to 30% off with these incredible offers - here's what we're snapping up
The Black Friday Liz Earle deals have landed. And I've got my sights set on this brilliant Daily Revival Collection – now a whopping £28 off.
By Kate McCusker •