Try making this lamb casserole recipe a day ahead and then reheat it – it tastes so much better.
Lamb goes really well with apricots and prunes and this lamb recipe is full of sweet flavours that are complimented by the use of spices like cumin and ginger.
While you’ll need to brown the meat and veg first, this casserole recipe is really quick to prep and all you need to do is wait when all the ingredients are in the pan.
HOW TO MAKE LAMB CASSEROLE WITH APRICOTS AND PRUNES
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a frying pan. Dust the diced lamb with flour and fry a few pieces at a time until well browned, then transfer to a large saucepan.
- When all the meat has been browned, add the onions, garlic and carrots to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add all the spices and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and spices to the lamb, pour over the wine and add 150ml (1/4pt) water. Add the prunes and apricots, and give everything a good stir. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover the pan with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 11/2 to 13/4 hours, or until the lamb is tender.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 750g (1lb 9oz) neck of lamb, diced
- 3tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600ml (1pt) red wine
- 100g (4oz) Pruneaux d'Agen, pitted
- 100g (4oz) dried apricots
Princess Diana's shocking insight into Prince Harry's life revealed
‘Harry’s full of energy but he flips from one thing to another and then loses interest'.
By Robyn Morris •
George Clooney reveals wife Amal would ‘KILL’ him if he did this...
The actor has been isolating at home with his wife and children throughout the world health pandemic
By Selina Maycock •
The Crown and Darkest Hour actor Ronald Pickup has died
The British Actor has died aged 80, his agent has confirmed
By Lucy Abbersteen •