- 4 British gammon steaks, smoked or unsmoked
- 6 ripe plums, halved, stoned and sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper (We used Karyatis), diced
- 50g (2oz) pitted black olives, preferably Kalamata, halved
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice ½ lemon
Heat the grill and place the gammon steaks on a rack over a baking tray lined with foil.
Place the plums, red onion, garlic, red pepper, olives and thyme in a bowl. Add the Balsamic vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Grill the gammon steaks for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
Place the gammon steaks on four warmed plates with a spoonful of salsa on top. Serve immediately.
The salsa is also delicious made with ripe, peeled, peaches or nectarines. The salsa will keep for 2 days, covered in the fridge.