Nutrition per portion
- 4 British gammon steaks, smoked or unsmoked
- 6 ripe plums, halved, stoned and sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper (We used Karyatis), diced
- 50g (2oz) pitted black olives, preferably Kalamata, halved
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice ½ lemon
Heat the grill and place the gammon steaks on a rack over a baking tray lined with foil.
Place the plums, red onion, garlic, red pepper, olives and thyme in a bowl. Add the Balsamic vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Grill the gammon steaks for 4-5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
Place the gammon steaks on four warmed plates with a spoonful of salsa on top. Serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Grilled Gammon Steaks with Plum, Black Olive and Red Onion Salsa
The salsa is also delicious made with ripe, peeled, peaches or nectarines. The salsa will keep for 2 days, covered in the fridge.