- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tsp cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 100g freekeh, soaked in cold water for 15 minutes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- good squeeze of lemon juice
- large handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 500g pack cooked beetroot, cut into wedged
- 150g soft goats' cheese, thickly sliced
- 75g roasted mixed nuts, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
Heat the oil in a medium, heavy-based saucepan, add the onion and cook until softened and golden. Add the spices and some salt and pepper, cook for another minute then add the freekeh and mix well.
Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Take off the heat, cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
Stir in the oil, lemon juice and parsley, season to taste, divide into 2 portions, top each with half the beetroot wedges, goats’ cheese and nuts. Drizzle over the pomegranate molasses and serve.