By Jules Mercer
Our filo fish pie can be cooked in one large baking dish for easy sharing or in individual ramekins for a chic touch to your dinner party. You can’t beat the comfort of this filo fish pie but by serving it in individual portions; it makes it feel a little more refined. We’ve used a mix of salmon, smoked haddock and hake, which is a great sustainable alternative to cod. The beetroot in this filo fish pie adds a wonderful colour and subtly, earthy flavour.
For the filling:
- 300ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 200g hake, cut into large chunks
- 150g smoked haddock, cut into large chunks
- 200g salmon, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2tbsp butter
- 2tbsp flour
- 1tsp English mustard
- 120g peas
- 1 bunch of dill, roughly chopped
- 4 cooked beetroot, cut into wedges
For the topping:
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 30g butter, melted
- green salad and lemon wedges, to serve
You will need: 6 ramekins or 1 large baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. For the filling: heat the milk and bay leaf. Poach the fish for 3-4mins in the liquid, remove, allow to cool and drain off the milk, reserving it for the sauce.
- Fry the onion in the butter, add the flour and add the drained milk pouring slowly and whisking until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, fish chunks, frozen peas, dill and beetroot.
- Divide between 6 ramekins or 1 large baking dish. Brush the filo with melted butter and top each pie dish with half a sheet of crumbled filo.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25mins until the filo is golden and the filling is heated through.
- Serve with a green salad and lemon wedges.
Top Tip for making Filo fish pie
If you prefer a mash topping, simply replace the filo with a cheddar cheese mash. Feel free to use whatever fish you fancy in this versatile recipe
Reese Witherspoon's book club is launching a fellowship to assist underrepresented women
Reese's Book Club launched a new writer's fellowship called LitUp to help underrepresented women pursue a career in writing
By Rylee Johnston •
Amazon shoppers love Black + Decker's 'exceptional' handheld vacuum—and it's on sale
Amazon shoppers can't get enough of Black + Decker's compact vacuum for cleaning up messes and fitting in those hard-to-reach spots
By Rylee Johnston •
Prince William visited his favorite football team for this special reason
Aston Villa is giving back, and the Duke of Cambridge heard all about it
By Danielle Valente •