Fillet steak is so special it makes the perfect dinner party recipe to share with your friends.
HOW TO MAKE FILLET STEAK WITH BUBBLE AND SQUEAK CAKES
Fabulous flavoured butters A great way to add taste to grilled meat or fish, here are some more delicious combos:
Dill, for salmon or chicken. Shallot and chive, with chicken or steak. Anchovy and black pepper, great with lamb.
- 2 x 250g (9oz) fillet steaks
- green salad to serve
For the blue cheese butter
- 50g (2oz) butter, softened
- 30g Cornish Blue or Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1tbsp snipped fresh chives
For the bubble and squeak cakes
- 1 large Maris Piper or Desiree potato, peeled and chopped
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 75g (3oz) pancetta cubetti or bacon, chopped
- 1/4 Savoy cabbage, shredded
- dash olive oil
- To make the blue cheese butter, put the softened butter, Cornish Blue, chives and pepper into a bowl and mash together. Place on clingfilm, roll into a sausage shape and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the bubble and squeak cakes: boil the chopped potato in boiling salted water until tender, drain, add the butter and seasoning and mash until smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, fry the pancetta until golden, remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan with a splash of water and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, then mix the pancetta and cabbage with the mashed potato. Shape into 4 cakes and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the cakes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Place on a baking sheet in a low oven and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Rub the steaks with olive oil and season well. Heat a frying pan until smoking hot and pan fry for 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Set aside and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, place the bubble and squeak cakes on plates and top with the fillet steaks. Slice the blue cheese butter into discs, place 3 discs on top of each steak and blow torch, or just pop under a preheated grill to melt the butter. Serve with a large green salad.
Top Tip for making Fillet Steak with Bubble and Squeak Cakes
The blue cheese butter can be made up to 1 week ahead and kept in the fridge. The bubble and squeak cake mix can be made and shaped 2 days ahead.
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •