By Jane Curran
For a duck recipe with a difference, try this dish with Middle Eastern-inspired ingredients for a new way to enjoy the rich meat.
Pomegranate molasses, a syrup used in Middle Eastern dishes, gives this duck dish a sweet and sour flavour that is really distinctive. It’s a great dinner party recipe to try if you’re looking for something new to cook up this week. Served with nuts, red onions and fresh pomegranate seeds, this main is full of different flavours and textures.
HOW TO MAKE DUCK WITH POMEGRANATE AND WALNUTS
- Fry the walnuts for a few minutes in 1tbsp hot olive oil until crisp, then set aside on kitchen paper. Fry the onions for a few minutes until coloured. Set a quarter of both of these aside for later.
- Make small slashes in the duck fat but not the skin. Season well all over. Heat the remaining oil in a deep sauté pan and brown the fat until crispy. Set aside. Return the onions and walnuts to the pan. Add the molasses and chicken stock, bring to the boil then simmer gently.
- Return the duck to the pan flesh side down then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the duck is tender. Take out the duck (you may want to flash grill it to crisp it up). Reduce the sauce until thickened slightly. Stir in the parsley. Slice the duck and spoon over the sauce. Scatter over the reserved nuts, onions and the pomegranate seeds.
- 200g walnut pieces
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 4 duck breasts
- 100g pomegranate molasses
- 200ml rich chicken stock
- 4tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4tbsp pomegranate seeds
Top Tip for making Duck With Pomegranate And Walnuts
We served our duck with basmati rice to which we added chopped pistachios, orange segments and pomegranate seeds.
Premier Inn reports spike in pillow sales following rise of TikTok trend
Have you tried Premier Inn pillows yet?
By Emma Shacklock •
Pippa Middleton’s mother Carole confirms her daughter’s second pregnancy
Kate Middleton’s sister will give her son a new sibling
By Sarah Finley •
Jessica Alba reveals genius tip for reducing under eye puffiness
Jessica Alba's tip for reducing eye puffiness is guaranteed to make you look bright eyed and fresh faced
By Fiona Embleton •