- 175g (6oz) plain chocolate
- 200g (7oz) butter, softened
- 200g (7oz) self raising flour
- 300g (oz) light muscovado sugar
- 30g (1oz ) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- For the chocolate ganache
- 100g (4oz) plain chocolate, broken up
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 100ml (4floz) double cream
- you will need
- a 20cm (8in ) round cake base lined with baking parchment
Preheat the oven to 180C/fan160C/gas 4.
Place the chocolate and butter in a small pan with 100ml water and heat gently until melted and smooth.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar. Beat the eggs into the flour then pour in the chocolate mixture and beat until smooth.
Spread the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 45-55 mins or until firm in the centre and a skewer comes out cleanly. Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the icing. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of just simmering water. Stir until smooth, then beat in the cream. Cool slightly and spread over the top of the cake.