Nutrition per portion
- 225ml (8fl oz) natural yogurt, not Greek
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 6 medium-sized skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1½tsp ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- 150ml (¼pt) double cream
- 3tbsp ground almonds
- For the garnish:
- 3 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 4tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 1tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
Place the yogurt, turmeric and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth. Place the chicken in a bowl, pour over the yogurt mixture, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry for 5 minutes, until they start to colour. Add all the spices and fry for a couple more minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken pieces with all the marinade, plus the double cream and the ground almonds. Stir well, season with salt and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and tender.
Meanwhile, make the garnish. Fry the onions in the vegetable oil until they’re very well browned, and mix with salt and the black mustard seeds.
To serve, place the chicken in a large warmed dish and scatter over the onion and almond garnish, plus fresh coriander.