If you’re after a lamb recipe that tastes a little different from the norm, why not give this brilliant lamb cutlet and coconut rice pilaf recipe a go?
- a little oil, for frying
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tbsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 300g (10oz) basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- 300ml (½ pint) vegetable or chicken stock
- 130ml (4½ fl oz) coconut milk
- 18 small lamb cutlets
- 25g (1oz) toasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 25g (1oz) pistachios, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) fresh coconut pieces, finely sliced
- large handful each of mint and coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- good squeeze of lime juice, plus lime wedges, to serve
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and cook for 3 or 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the spices and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Now add the rice to the pan, coat well in the mixture and cook for a few seconds or until slightly translucent.
Add the stock and coconut milk to the pan, bring to the boil, cover and reduce to a gentle simmer. Leave to cook for a further 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Keeping the lid on, remove from the heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the grill to high, then cook the cutlets for a few minutes on each side. Cutlets are great cooked on the barbecue of course!
To serve, stir the nuts, coconut and herbs into the rice, season to taste and add a squeeze of lime juice. Add extra limes to squeeze over the lamb and a green salad to serve.