- 100g (4oz) cooked chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 200ml (7fl oz) passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 200ml (7fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g (7oz) peeled raw king prawns
- 2 x 150g (5oz) pieces skinless cod, preferably farmed organic, cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 2tbsp chopped fresh basilcrusty bread, to serve
Heat a large pan and cook the chorizo until golden all over. Remove from the pan, leaving the oil. Turn the heat down low and add the onion to the pan, allowing to cook for 5 minutes until soft.
Add the garlic for a further minute, then add the oregano, tinned tomatoes, passata and stock and let it simmer for 20 minutes before adding the red wine vinegar and seasoning to taste.
Add the chorizo, beans, prawns and cod to the pan just before serving and cook for about 5 minutes or until the prawns have turned pink, then fold through the basil and serve in bowls with warm crusty bread.
Top Tip for making Chorizo, Prawn and Cod Stew
This dish is so flexible – you could replace the beans with chickpeas and use hake instead of cod. A tasty addition is sun-blush tomatoes, which are semi-dried and very sweet, adding a new dimension of flavour – use 50g (2oz).