By Jane Curran
If you’re looking for a fancy chocolate dessert recipe that looks fabulous in individual ramekins and tastes even better, you can’t go wrong with a delicious chocolate mousse recipe. Using a mixture of nuts to make a crunchy and sweet praline with honey and sea salt, there’s an added layer of texture and taste to this delicious dessert recipe.
It’s ready in just under an hour and can be served up in individual glasses to feed six people, so it’s a fabulous way to treat your guests at the end of a dinner party. And as it can be prepped ahead too, it’s a great way to make sure you’re organised and can sit back and enjoy the evening.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WITH HONEY-HAZELNUT PRALINE
For the praline
- a little oil, to grease
- 250g caster sugar
- 75g runny honey
- 1tsp sea salt
- 200g mixed toasted nuts, pistachios, blanched hazelnuts and pecans
For the chocolate mousse
- 165g dark chocolate
- 6 large free-range eggs, separated
- 1tbsp of water, coffee or liqueur
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- For the praline, line a chopping board with baking parchment; brush with oil. Heat the sugar, honey, salt and 1tbsp water in a small heavy-based pan over a low heat. Tilt the pan now and again, but don’t mix. Gradually increase the heat, but keep it below medium until the sugar has dissolved; around 10 minutes.
- Then turn up the heat and let the mix bubble; tilt the pan to spread the heat once or twice. Let it bubble for 3-5 minutes, or until it turns amber and smells like caramel. Take off the heat and pour over the sheet. Sprinkle over the nuts straight away. Leave to cool completely and set for 1 hour. Break into shards; to make the praline, blitz in a food processor.
- For the mousse, melt the chocolate; let it cool. Put the egg yolks in a bowl, gently beat to loosen, then pour in the chocolate and 1tbsp water. Very gently fold together using a balloon whisk. Using an electric whisk, mix the egg whites and sugar until stiffly peaking. Fold a quarter into the chocolate mix, then the rest. Divide between 8 jars or bowls and leave to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Sarah Jessica Parker and JLo's favorite reusable face mask has sold out 14 times
Even better? You can currently snap up more than 20% off the usual price tag
By Lucy Abbersteen •
A look at Highgrove House, Prince of Charles and Duchess Camilla's stunning Cotswolds retreat
Everything you need to know about Highgrove House, the home of Charles and Camilla
By Laura Harman •
Is This Is Us ending with Season 6? Everything we know so far
Everything we know about the This Is Us Season 6 release date, news, spoilers and more
By Lucy Abbersteen •