serves:12 - 16
- 250g dark chocolate
- 275g pack mini chocolate brownies
- 2 x 390g jars black cherries in kirsch, drained reserving 4-5tbsp of the liquid
- 6 large free-range eggs, separated
- 100g dark chocolate thins (we used M&S Swiss dark chocolate thins)
- 300ml double cream
- cocoa powder and edible glittle, to serve
- You will need
- a large trifle dish
Start by making the mousse. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, arrange the brownies in a layer at the base of the dish, top with the cherries and the reserved liquid from the cherries.
Mix together the cooled melted chocolate and egg yolks until combined (be careful not to over mix as it will become too stiff). Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold into the chocolate mixture. Set aside to firm up in the fridge for 30 minutes before loosening again by mixing lightly, then spoon over the trifle. Set aside in the fridge for at least another 30 minutes.
To serve place the chocolate thins in a layer around the edge of the mousse, then whip the cream until it holds its shape, spoon on top of the trifle and dust with cocoa powder and edible glitter.