- 350g (12oz) dark chocolate (for example, Divine 70%)
- 250g (9oz) butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g (9oz) soft brown sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50g (2oz) plain flour, sifted
- 75g (3oz) pecans or walnuts, chopped
- For the fudge sauce
- 1 x 142ml pot double cream
- 15g (½oz) light muscovado sugar
- 15g (½oz) butter
- 100g (4oz) dark chocolate (for example, Divine 70%)
- You will need
- 20cm x 20cm x 5cm (8in x 8in x 2in) tin, lined
Preheat oven to 170C, 150C fan, gas 3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl until thick and creamy, then add the sugar. Keep whisking until you reach the ribbon stage, which is when a trail is left in the mixture when you lift the whisk.
Combine the baking powder and flour.
Once the chocolate is cool, alternately fold the chocolate and flour into the egg mixture, then stir in the nuts.
Place in the lined tin and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until the top has cracked and the centre is just firm to the touch.
Leave to cool completely in the tin, then cut into 24 small squares with a sharp knife.
To make the hot fudge sauce, put the cream, sugar and butter in a saucepan. Heat through until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, add the chocolate and leave to melt, then stir well.
Serve the brownies and hot fudge sauce with quality vanilla ice cream.