- 200g (7oz) plain dark chocolate
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- 150g (5oz) golden caster sugar
- 250g tub mascarpone
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp brandy
- 300ml (½pt) double cream, lightly whipped
- 100ml (4fl oz) coffee liqueur (we used Kahlúa)
- 200ml (7fl oz) very strong black coffee
- 12 sponge fingers, broken in half
- you will need:
- 6 small glass tumblers
Break the chocolate into squares and put into a heatproof bowl. Then melt over a pan of simmering water.
Whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl, until stiff. Then whisk in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth.
Mix together the mascarpone, vanilla extract and brandy, then fold in the cream. Spoon half the mixture into the melted chocolate. Fold in the egg whites to form a mousse.
Pour the Kahlúa and coffee into a dish. Take 2 pieces of sponge finger at a time and dip into the coffee mixture, before placing in a glass tumbler with 1 tablespoon of the coffee liquid. Top with some mascarpone mix and add another layer of coffee-dipped sponge fingers, pouring on any remaining mixture.
Divide the mousse between the glasses. Chill for at least an hour before serving.