By Woman and Home published
Chicken and barley broth is filling and nutritious soup with no added fat. This delicious recipe makes enough to serve 6-8 people, which makes it a great hearty meal after a long day outdoors with your family. Prepare it in advance, freeze it and you have the soup ready in no time. Pear barley is a great source of fibre and important minerals, and it is a great thickener for this broth, giving the soup its creamy texture. For more cooking inspiration, have a look at our other soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND BARLEY BROTH
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan with the remaining stock ingredients. Add enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, cover, then simmer very gently for about 2 and a half hours.
- Remove chicken onto a plate, and let it cool for half an hour. Strain stock, remove bits and discard. Skim off scum and excess fat.
- Discard the skin from the chicken then pull off the flesh in big chunks. Add to the stock with the barley. Season well. Bring to the boil then simmer for 45 minutes. After 25 minutes, add the vegetables. Ten minutes before serving, add the pasta and the parsley.
- 1 free-range roasting chicken around 1.25kg (2lb 4oz)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley
- 1 head fennel, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 150g (5oz) tiny pasta shapes
- 5tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4tsp concentrated chicken stock
Top Tip for making Chicken and Barley Broth
This gutsy, nourishing soup is also delicious made with pheasant or guinea fowl, freezes well and will keep in the fridge for up to three days.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Air signs—Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius zodiacs explained
Air signs of the zodiac are Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius—here's everything you need to know about what it means to be an air sign
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Royal Lodge: Explore the Windsor family home where Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson live
The separated couple live in Windsor together at Royal Lodge, sometimes with their daughters Beatrice and Eugenie.
By Rachael Martin • Published
Princess Diana's legendary black sheep jumper is available as a sweater vest—it's 2022's coolest cover-up
Princess Diana delighted fans with her legendary fashion sense and now one of her most iconic pieces is available as a sweater vest
By Laura Harman • Published