Quintessentially English! Don’t go confusing this cherry bakewell pudding with its white icing and cherry-topped cousin.
Our Cherry Bakewell pudding is somewhat different to the icing topped tarts you might be used to but it’s ever so tasty! Cherry and almond is a match made in flavour perfection and we’re certain this pudding will become a new dinner party favourite.
We’ve used ready-rolled puff pastry, which is available in the chilled aisle near the butter in most supermarkets. You can also buy gluten-free pastry. It's a good option if you’re cooking for people with gluten intolerance but want a dessert everyone will enjoy.
- 320g pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 4tbsp morello cherry jam
- 100g black cherries in syrup, drained (we love Fabbri Amarena Cherries)
- 165g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 165g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 50g ground almonds
- 30g flaked almonds
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
You will need:
- 4x 10cm skillet baking pans or tart tins, greased
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4. Unroll the puff pastry and cut into 4 squares, use each square to time the skillets or tart tin and trim away any excess. Prick with a fork and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter with the sugar in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, whisk in the egg, yolks, vanilla and ground almonds and min until smooth.
- Remove the skillets from fridge, spread 1tbsp of jam into each, add the cherries and the pour over the egg mixture. Top with flaked almonds and bake in the oven for 45 mins until golden. Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Top Tip for making Cherry bakewell pudding
Add a splash of amaretto if this its just for the grown-ups.
This is how to combat the negative effects low estrogen levels have on your skin
But don't worry—there's help
By Danielle Valente •
The 9 most empowering speeches by women in Oscars history
For a heaping dose of girl power
By Danielle Valente •
You might not know what the 'clavicut' haircut is, but get prepared to see it everywhere
Prepare to see this haircut everywhere this season for its chicness and simple care
By Rylee Johnston •