- 300ml (½pt) milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 25g (1oz) custard powder
- 1tbsp instant coffee powder
- 115g (4oz) sugar
- 2 x 250g tubs of mascarpone
- 55g (2oz) dark chocolate, chopped finely
- 16 sponge fingers
- 8tbsp Tia Maria
- 25g (1oz) Amaretti biscuits
- crumbled cocoa for dusting
- 142ml carton of double cream, whipped
- chocolate-covered coffee beans
- You will need
- a 18cm (7in) round spring-form cake tin, lined with baking parchment
Blend a little of the milk with the egg yolks and custard powder in a bowl, then heat the remaining milk until boiling. Pour on to the custard mixture, then return to the pan and stir to make a thick custard.
Beat in the instant coffee, sugar and mascarpone. When cool, add the chocolate.
Arrange half the sponge fingers tightly packed together in the base of the tin, then drizzle with half the Tia Maria.
Spoon over half the coffee custard, then top with the remaining sponge fingers and Tia Maria. Smooth over the rest of the custard and scatter with the Amaretti biscuits. Tap the tin firmly on the work surface to remove any air pockets, then cover and chill until ready to serve.
Before serving, remove the cake from the tin and strip away the baking parchment. Place on a serving plate and dust with the cocoa. Place spoonfuls of whipped cream around the edge of the cake, top with the chocolate coffee beans and dust with cocoa.
Top Tip for making No Bake Cappuccino Coffee Cake
You can make this cake ahead, but it's not suitable for freezing