Butternut squash is great veg for soups. It has a sweet, nutty taste and it can be easily mashed and puréed for soups. Butternut squash is an autumnal fruit, in season September to November. It's rich in vitamins and makes for a great healthy meal. The sweet butternut goes well with spices, but also tastes wonderful on it's own, like in this tasty, light soup.
This butternut squash recipe is easy to make, and the soup is perfect for a light lunch. The ingredients are also easy to come by and can probably be found in your kitchen cupboards already, so there’s no need to make an extra trip to the store when you’re in need for some warming and delicious comfort food. With simple ingredients such as butternut squash, onion, vegetable broth and a bit of seasoning you can make this delicious soup in 15 minutes.
If you want to add a bit more richness to your soup, scatter some croutons over it before serving. Croutons can be easily made by toasting some bread cubes, drizzled with olive oil, in the oven. For the best result, prepare the croutons on the previous day.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? Have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SOUP
- Put butternut squash, fat-free vegetable broth, and the chopped onion into a large soup pot
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove lid and reduce heat; simmer until squash is tender
- Purée with a blender and season with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz./175 g) butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- Ground nutmeg
Prince William and Duchess Catherine announce pet dog Lupo has sadly passed away
We're so sorry for your loss...
By Lauren Hughes •
Ruth Langsford and Eamonn Holmes receive very exciting news following This Morning 'axe'
The ITV favourites could be jumping ship to another channel…
By Jenni McKnight •
I'm A Celebrity's AJ Pritchard's girlfriend Abbie Quinnen recalls terrifying death threat that left her in 'extreme danger'
This sounds terrifying
By Jenni McKnight •