By Jane Curran
Our braised oxtail with dumplings is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for cold winter evenings. We’ve topped this mouth watering meaty stew with home made cornbread dumplings, adding a real comfort food factor. You can make the stew in advance and keep in the freezer, then defrost and top with your dumplings before baking.
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED OXTAIL WITH DUMPLINGS
- 2kg oxtail (ask your butcher to cut it into small pieces)
- 2tbsp seasoned flour
- 2tbsp oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2tsp cumin
- 75cl bottle red wine
- 500ml rich beef stock
- zest and juice of 2 oranges
For the dumplings:
- 225g cornmeal (polenta)
- 225g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 225ml milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 60g butter, melted
You will need:
- a 28x20x5cm ovenproof dish
- Toss the oxtail in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the oxtail in batches. Put into a large saucepan. In the sauté pan, add the onions and cook gently for 10 mins before adding the cumin. Fry for a few mins then add to the oxtail with the red wine, stock, orange zest and juice. Bring to the boil then simmer until tender and falling off the bone, around 4 hrs.
- Once cooked, take out the oxtail and pull it off the bone. (We use Spontex disposable gloves, great for messy jobs.) Meanwhile, heat the cooking liquor on the hob and reduce by a third until thickened. Put the meat into the sauce.
- To make the dumplings, mix the dry ingredients then add the milk, egg and butter and mix together well. Heat the oven to 200C. Put the meat and sauce into the ovenproof dish. Dollop on large spoonfuls of the cornbread mixture and bake for 25 mins or until the cornbread has browned and the meat is bubbling. Serve with greens.
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •