By Jane Curran
If you've never cooked chicory, now is the time to try it! Don't be nervous about chicory having too strong a taste, as cooking softens the bitterness without causing loss of flavour. You may have braised steak before, but braising chicory is rather different.This new recipe for braised chicory is perfect for a buffet, or a tasty side dish served with roast chicken. This 'one-pan supper' minimises washing up, and doesn't take long to prepare so you can get on with the main meal, or other things outside of the kitchen.
This braised chicory dish is perfect for those who refuse to banish crispy bacon to breakfast, as it brings it into the limelight as the meat element. Taste bacon like you've never tasted it before, and introduce chicory into your diet. If serving alongside chicken, use the extra juices as a moistening element, otherwise, you might like to serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices. It is a truth universally acknowledged that most dishes benefit from a little added cheese, and parmesan is the perfect addition to this braised chicory and bacon dish. Serve as a talking piece, something different to the standard, run-of-the-mill side dishes served on the UK's dinner tables.
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED CHICORY WITH CRISPY BACON AND PARMESAN
1. Heat the oven to 180C fan, gas 6. Pour the stock into a medium ovenproof dish and add the chicory, cut side up. Season well with salt and black pepper and bake for 15 minutes, basting it a few times. Grill the bacon until crispy.
2. Top the chicory with snipped crispy bacon and the cheese. Pop under the grill and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the top is crisp. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.
- 4 heads red chicory, halved lengthways
- 150ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 40g Parmesan cheese, ﬁnely grated
Kate Winslet reveals her stress incontinence prevents her from engaging in this physical activity
Kate Winslet has raised awareness of the urinatory condition after sharing her personal experience with Graham Norton
By Emma Dooney •
The Split season 3 - everything you need to know about the BBC drama’s final series
Are you prepared for how it will end?
By Emma Shacklock •
Meghan Markle wore this stunning designer dress for her Oprah interview
It's sure to be a sell out!
By Sarah Finley •