By Jane Curran
Aromatic rather than spicy, this creamy curry will become a big favourite aubergine recipe. Its subtle ingredients blend in a flavoursome combination, rather than knocking you out with spice, so it's a fantastic dish for the whole family. To make the dish traditionally Indian, serve with naan breads or rice, but leftover bread from lunchtime will do just as well, for a slightly less authentic effect.
Seasoning is of the utmost importance throughout and, although it is an easier dish to make, this curry requires almost constant attention, so it's best to stay with it rather than nipping off to get on with something else. This aubergine and coconut curry is great as a hot main meal in the evening, or as a smaller portion for lunch the next day. It is, however, a dish best served hot, so save leftovers for yourself (assuming a microwave is to hand), rather than sending it off in lunchboxes. Yum yum!
HOW TO MAKE AN AUBERGINE AND COCONUT CURRY
1. Heat the oven to 200C fan, gas 7. Put the aubergines in a large roasting tin, drizzle with 2tbsp of the olive oil and season to taste. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until the ﬂesh is soft.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a large pan. Add the red onions and fry gently for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and curry paste, and cook for a further 2 minutes or until caramelised and bubbling. Stir through the ground almonds, coconut milk and yogurt, and bring to the boil. Simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until reduced and thickening. Season to taste. Add the aubergines to the pan along with the mustard seeds and cook for a ﬁnal 10 minutes. Stir in the coriander, and serve with naan breads or rice.
- 600g baby aubergines, halved, or 2 large, quartered
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium red onions, quartered
- 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 4tbsp mild curry paste
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 x 400g cans full-fat coconut milk
- 3tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1tbsp mustard seeds handful coriander, torn
Sarah Jessica Parker and JLo's favorite reusable face mask has sold out 14 times
Even better? You can currently snap up more than 20% off the usual price tag
By Lucy Abbersteen •
A look at Highgrove House, Prince of Charles and Duchess Camilla's stunning Cotswolds retreat
Everything you need to know about Highgrove House, the home of Charles and Camilla
By Laura Harman •
Is This Is Us ending with Season 6? Everything we know so far
Everything we know about the This Is Us Season 6 release date, news, spoilers and more
By Lucy Abbersteen •