For more roast dinner ideas, take a look at our best ever roast dinner recipes
- Check with your butcher if the ham needs soaking before cooking. Heat the oven to 170C, gas 3. Double-line a roasting tin with large, wide pieces of foil with plenty overhanging. Place the onion wedges and cinnamon stick in the centre of the foil, then the ham on top, and make a tent so that there is plenty of space for air to circulate. Bake for 3½ hours (or 1 hour of cooking per 1kg).
- Meanwhile, mix together the ketjap manis, mustard powder, brown sugar and peppercorns in a small bowl. Remove the ham from the oven. When cool enough to handle, remove the outer layer of skin, leaving the white fat intact.
- Score the fat in diamond shapes then brush all over with half the glaze. Stud the centre of each diamond with a clove. Heat the oven to 220C, gas 7. Bake the Asian-glazed gammon for another 10 minutes before brushing with the remaining glaze, returning to the oven and baking until the fat has turned crisp and golden.
- 3 onions, cut into quarters
- 3.5kg ham, boned
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4tbsp ketjap manis
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- 4 1/4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- around 30 whole cloves
Top Tip for making Asian-Glazed Gammon
Ketjap manis is an Indonesian sauce similar to soy sauce but it is sweeter, spicer and thicker. It is stocked in major supermarkets and M&S The recipe is the same whether you buy a smoked or unsmoked ham
No mask, no problem at the Oscars: Academy Award guests will not be required to wear face coverings on camera
Here are the rules
By Danielle Valente •
You'll never guess how Kate Winslet's daughter has hidden her connection to her mother
Kate Winslet's daughter has decided to take up acting but used this one clever way to hide their connection
By Rylee Johnston •
The Jury has officially delivered a verdict for the Derek Chauvin trial
The jury has officially come to a unanimous decision for Derek Chauvin's trial over the murder of George Floyd
By Rylee Johnston •