Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
For more roast dinner ideas, take a look at our best ever roast dinner recipes
- Check with your butcher if the ham needs soaking before cooking. Heat the oven to 170C, gas 3. Double-line a roasting tin with large, wide pieces of foil with plenty overhanging. Place the onion wedges and cinnamon stick in the centre of the foil, then the ham on top, and make a tent so that there is plenty of space for air to circulate. Bake for 3½ hours (or 1 hour of cooking per 1kg).
- Meanwhile, mix together the ketjap manis, mustard powder, brown sugar and peppercorns in a small bowl. Remove the ham from the oven. When cool enough to handle, remove the outer layer of skin, leaving the white fat intact.
- Score the fat in diamond shapes then brush all over with half the glaze. Stud the centre of each diamond with a clove. Heat the oven to 220C, gas 7. Bake the Asian-glazed gammon for another 10 minutes before brushing with the remaining glaze, returning to the oven and baking until the fat has turned crisp and golden.
- 3 onions, cut into quarters
- 3.5kg ham, boned
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4tbsp ketjap manis
- 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
- 4 1/4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
- around 30 whole cloves
Top Tip for making Asian-Glazed Gammon
Ketjap manis is an Indonesian sauce similar to soy sauce but it is sweeter, spicer and thicker. It is stocked in major supermarkets and M&S The recipe is the same whether you buy a smoked or unsmoked ham
Roast coconut chicken
Spring wouldn’t be the same without a roast this coconut chicken recipe is full of Asian flavours
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Jersey royals with broad beans and ham
By Keiron George • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Princess Margaret’s go-to dinner party game and hatred for squirrels couldn’t be more *her*
Princess Margaret’s go-to dinner party game is very unique and her fellow guests would never have known it was happening…
By Emma Shacklock • Published
The Queen's 'boring' Christmas dinner favorite revealed by royal chef
The Queen kept things basic when it came to Christmas dinners at Sandringham
By Caitlin Elliott • Last updated
Nigella Lawson reveals the Christmas lunch tradition she has 'never' understood – 'it's madness'
Nigella Lawson shared the controversial opinion during an interview about her upcoming Christmas cooking plans
By Emma Dooney • Published