Katy Salterís dairy free Vietnamese chicken curry so creamy itís hard to believe that itís dairy free, but works so well with sweet squash
- 2 lemongrass stalks, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 2 round shallots, finely diced
- 2tbsp curry powder
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 450g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 400ml chicken stock
- 250g pumpkin or butternut squash, deseeded and cut into 2cm cubes
- 200g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 250ml coconut milk
- 3 tsp sugar
- 30ml fish saucefresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 1 red chilli, sliced, to garnish (optional)
- lime wedges, to serve
- Blitz the lemongrass and garlic in a small food processor to form a thick paste.
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Add the oil, then fry the shallots for about 4 minutes, until softened. Add the lemongrass and garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Stir the curry powder and turmeric into the mixture and fry for just 30 seconds, then add the diced chicken. Fry for a couple of minutes until the chicken is coated in the spices and starting to brown, then pour in the stock.
- Bring the stock to the boil, then add the diced pumpkin or squash and the potatoes. Reduce the heat slightly, season, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Simmer, uncovered, over a medium-high heat for another 5 minutes. Check the chicken is cooked through and check the seasoning.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves, and slices of red chilli if desired, and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe taken from Dairy-Free Delicious by Katy Salter, published by Quadrille, £18.99
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up
dairy free Recipes
More Dairy free Recipes
More Chicken Recipes
More Curry Recipes