This scrummy chocolate Christmas cake will be a sure-fire winner with all the family
- 200g (7oz) butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) light muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- 150g (5oz) plain chocolate drops
- 200g (7oz) glace cherries
- 250g (9oz) sultanas
- 200g (7oz) raisins
- 50g (2oz) candied orange peel, chopped
- 75g (3oz) walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- chocolate stars (we used Dr Oetker )
You will need:
- a deep 20cm (8in) round cake tin lined with baking parchment.
Set oven to 160c/140fan/gas 3. Place the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat well until pale brown and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles. Stir in all the remaining cake ingredients to make a soft mixture.
Mix well and spoon into the cake tin. Bake for 30 mins, then reduce the oven temperature to 150c/130 fan /gas 2 and bake for a further 11/2 hours until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin for 1 hour then turn out and allow to cool completely. Decorate with chocolate stars.
Find more Christmas cake recipes