Trofie pasta with roasted red onions and goats' cheese recipe
This pasta sauce recipe has a lovely mix of flavours and textures
- 3 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 1tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle and serve
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed and whizzed into breadcrumbs
- 800g (1lb 12oz) trofie pasta (penne also works well)
- 250g (9oz) soft unrinded goats' cheese, broken into large chunks
- thyme leaves, to serve
Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Place the onions in a roasting tin and drizzle with a little oil and some seasoning. Roast for about 25 minutes, until slightly blackened and tender.
While the onions are cooking, heat a frying pan and add the olive oil. When hot, tip in the breadcrumbs with some salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, shaking the pan regularly so that the crumbs toast evenly. If they look dry, add a little more oil. When the crumbs are golden brown, remove from the pan and set aside.
Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Drain and toss through with a little olive oil. When the onions are cooked, pull the pieces in half gently and toss through the pasta with the goats' cheese and most of the breadcrumbs.
Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs on top, garnish with thyme leaves and serve immediately.