A fantastic chocolate dessert recipe which will impress any guests
- 6 large free-range eggs, separated
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 6tbsp creme fraiche
- black cherries soaked in Kirsch (to serve)
- For the mousse
- 125g dark chocolate
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 33 x 23cm (13in x 9in) swiss roll tin, lined with baking paper
Preheat oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Using a mixer, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Add the vanilla. Sift the cocoa and fold in gently. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold in. Pour into the tin and spread evenly. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Now cover the roulade with a large piece of baking paper and invert onto a board. Remove the base paper and roll up in the clean paper. Leave to cool while you make the mousse.
Melt the chocolate and let it cool. Stir the egg yolks into the chocolate, then beat the whites until stiff but not dry and fold in.
Unroll the roulade, spread on the mousse and top with creme fraiche. Roll up again, garnish with soaked cherries and dust with cocoa powder.