Baked Orange Cheesecake with Caramelised Oranges
This baked orange cheesecake recipe can be made with whatever fruits are seasonal
- 150g (5oz) digestive biscuits
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 450g (1lb) full-fat soft cream cheese
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges and the juice of 1
- 3 free-range eggs, separated
- 150ml whipping cream
- 6 oranges
- 2tbsp Grand Marnier, Cointreau or other orange-flavoured liqueur
- 200g (7oz) granulated sugar
- 1 x loose-bottomed, round 23cm (9in) cake tin, base and sides lined with greaseproof paper
- Preheat the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, 325 F, gas 3. Place the biscuits in a polythene bag and crush to fine crumbs. Mix with the butter and use to line the base of the tin, pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon. Chill while you make the filling.
- Place the butter, sugar, cream cheese, flour, orange zest and juice, and egg yolks in a large bowl and beat well with an electric hand whisk until smooth. Lightly whip the cream then fold into the mixture. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture. Pour this filling over the biscuit base and level the surface.
- Place in the oven for 1 to 1½ hours until just set, turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven for a further hour. Then run a palette knife around the outside edge to loosen the cheesecake and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the caramelised oranges, remove all the peel and pith from the oranges and slice thinly, removing any pips. Lay in a dish and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier, Cointreau or other orange-flavoured liqueur. Put the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan with 150ml (¼pt) of water, place over a medium heat and allow the sugar to dissolve, swirling the pan occasionally. Increase the heat and allow the mixture to reach a rich caramel colour, remove from the heat and carefully add a little more water until you have a thick syrup. Pour over the oranges and allow to cool.
- Cut the cheesecake into wedges and serve the oranges on the side.