By Woman and Home published
This Thai soup recipe is a great basic recipe for you to use in your own soup variations. We’ve gone with king prawns as seafood is something Thai cuisine excels at – the delicate prawns taste great together with the spicy broth.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? Have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE TOM YUM SOUP
- Shell the prawns reserving the meat then in a large pan or wok heat the sesame oil and fry the empty prawn shells on a high heat until pink. Add 1.2 litres (2pints) of boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes before removing the shells from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the lemongrass, galangal and lime leaves to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes then add the chillies, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar for a further minute. Taste, adding more lime, sugar, fish sauce or sugar if necessary.
- Add the raw prawns to the pan along with the mange tout and bean sprouts and cook for a final 2 minutes until the prawns are pink and the vegetables are soft. Serve the soup in large bowls and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- 20 raw shell-on king prawns
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 2 sticks lemongrass, chopped
- 4 thick slices galangal, peeled and chopped (or 1tbsp galangal paste, we used Barts)
- 5 lime leaves, torn
- 3 red chillies, chopped
- 4tbsp nam pal (Thai fish sauce)
- 3tbsp lime juice
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 1tbsp sweet Thai dipping sauce
- 200g sugar snaps, sliced on the diagonal
- 200g bean sprouts
- Bunch spring onions
- small bunch coriander leaves to garnish
Top Tip for making Tom Yum Soup
For a meatier, more savoury version replace the prawns with shredded, cooked chicken and the water with chicken stock
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Princess Eugenie's podcast—new project revealed as Prince Andrew chaos continues
Princess Eugenie's podcast series is in collaboration with her charity, The Anti-Slavery Collective, and co-hosted by Julia de Boinville
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William could move to Windsor to be closer to the Queen
Kate Middleton and Prince William could move to Windsor, with their three children, in order to be closer to Her Majesty the Queen
By Sarah Finley • Published
This video of Will Smith dancing with his 85-year-old mom to Whitney Houston is the best thing you’ll see all day
Will Smith shared a sweet video celebrating his mother’s birthday
By Anna Rahmanan • Published