Roasted pumpkin and sweet potato taste wonderful in savoury dishes such as this soup with Parmesan cheese. This simply delicious soup recipe is comfort food at its best.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? We have plenty of other tasty soup recipes for all occasions.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED PUMPKIN AND SWEET POTATO SOUP WITH PARMESAN CRISPS
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small pumpkin or medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and sliced
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- small of handful of sage
- 175ml double cream
For the crisps
- 125g Parmesan, grated
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Toss the sweet potato and pumpkin in 1tbsp olive oil and some seasoning, and roast on 2 large baking trays for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic and sweat for 5 minutes over a gentle heat, until soft but not coloured. Add the roasted vegetables and hot stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- For the crisps, make 6 circles of Parmesan on a lined baking tray and bake for 5-6 minutes until melted, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small sauté pan and fry the sage for 1 minute on each side until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to kitchen paper.
- Purée the soup with a stick blender until smooth, stir in 100ml cream and serve in warmed bowls topped with a swirl of cream, a sage leaf and Parmesan crisps.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Emma Thompson on filming her first nude scene—'It's very challenging to be nude at 62'
Emma Thompson has opened up about her new movie Good Luck to You, Leo Grande which features the 62-year-old actress' first nude scene
By Laura Harman • Published
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment on wedding day revealed by lip-reader
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment to husband Jack Brooksbank on wedding day revealed as a lip-reader decodes sweet moment between the couple
By Aoife Hanna • Published