By Jane Curran published
Meatloaf is a great mince recipe to turn to when you're feeding a crowd and this delicious version will have the whole family asking for seconds.
HOW TO MAKE MEATLOAF WITH TOMATO SAUCE AND SPICED OVEN CHIPS
- 2 x 95g packets sliced pancetta, 6 slices reserved
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4 banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1kg free-range pork mince
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 1tbsp each chopped parsley and thyme
For the tomato sauce
- 200g passata
- 100g baby plum tomatoes, halved
For the spiced oven chips
- 8 medium desiree potatoes
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
You will need:
- a 1.4-litre terrine mould or loaf tin
- Heat the oven to 190C, gas 5. Line the terrine mould or loaf tin with slices of pancetta, slightly overlapping, reserving a few slices to cover the top.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the shallots, garlic and chilli until softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Mix with the mince, eggs, breadcrumbs and herbs until well combined. Put into the lined terrine mould and use the remaining pancetta to cover the surface.
- Place in a large, deep roasting tin half-filled with hot water. Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour, until the juices run clear and the meat has shrunk from the edges slightly.
- To make the sauce, fry the reserved pancetta slices until crisp and set aside. Add the passata to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until slightly reduced. Pour the sauce and the pancetta into a blender and whizz until smooth, then stir through the fresh tomatoes.
- Heat the oven to 220C, gas 7. To make the oven chips, slice the unpeeled potatoes into wedges and toss with the oil and smoked paprika. Roast for 30-40 minutes until crisp.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Prince Charles dodges awkward question about Prince Andrew
Prince Charles was recently put in an awkward position when a reporter questioned him about Prince Andrew's upcoming court case
By Laura Harman • Published
Britney Spears reveals she had 'bad experiences' with 'Botox' and 'needles'
Britney has found an alternative to Botox after enduring a negative experience with the drug
By Emma Dooney • Published
Is there going to be a Dexter: New Blood season 2 and what happened in that shocking finale?
Fans can't help hoping for a Dexter: New Blood season 2, but how will things ever be the same after the finale?
By Emma Shacklock • Published