By Woman and Home published
This creamy leek and potato soup recipe is great for a starter, as it has a beautiful smooth texture and a mild taste. Scatter crusty croutons on top for added luxury. The soup also makes for a tasty dinner when served with fresh bread rolls. It is warming and filling, which makes it the perfect comfort food, and you can freeze it too. Leek and potato are both good sources for dietary fiber, so they make your body feel great and healthy. This recipe is for six people but if you need less, don’t cut down the ingredients! Instead, make the full amount and freeze the rest so that you have delicious soup at the ready when you are in the mood for a really quick and easy dinner.
Looking for more cooking inspiration? We have plenty of other tasty soup recipes for all occasions.
HOW TO MAKE LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and leeks, cover and sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes until soft but without any colour. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, pour on the stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Liquidise the soup, return to a clean pan and add the cream. Reheat, without boiling, taste for seasoning then ladle into warmed soup bowls. Scatter over the chopped chives and serve immediately.
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 450g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 850ml (1½ pt) light chicken stock or water
- 150ml (¼pt) whipping cream
- chopped chives, to garnish
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
How Kate Middleton's diet fuels the royal icon's intense exercise regime at 40
Kate Middleton's super-healthy diet is key to maximizing her daily workouts
By Emma Dooney • Published
Wolf moon—what it symbolizes and how will it affect the month ahead?
Wolf moon—everything to know about the January 2022 lunation and the distinct effect it's likely to have in the upcoming month
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Boris Johnson's body language while apologizing to the Queen reveals 'hopelessness and despair' of a 'schoolboy'
Body language expert, Judi James, has commented on Boris Johnson's nonverbal communication during his public apology to the Queen
By Laura Harman • Published