If you’re in the mood for a Mexican night but aren’t sure where to start food wise, this easy quesadilla and butternut squash recipe is a perfect introduction to Mexican cuisine that really packs a punch when it comes to flavour.
A quesadilla is a tortilla that’s filled with cheese and then grilled, but our version of the classic Mexican dish so much more than that. We’ve asses paprika and chilli to really turn up the heat on this one. Plus there’s butternut squash, red pepper and spring onions to add to the flavour and texture while providing some of your five-a-day. This recipe serves four so it’s a great on to try with all the family this week.
HOW TO MAKE CHILLI AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH QUESADILLAS
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/350F/Gas 4. Toss the butternut with the red pepper, chilli, olives and paprika. Place on a baking tray, drizzle over the oil and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and spoon over a third of the butternut squash mix. Scatter over some of the spring onions, coriander and both cheeses.
- Cover with another tortilla and heat for 1 ½ minutes before carefully flipping over and frying for a further 1 ½ minutes. Chop into wedges and serve with salad.
- 500g (1lb 2oz) butternut squash, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped olives
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 corn flour tortillas
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 125g (4½oz) mozzarella, torn
- 100g (4oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- Salad, to serve
Top Tip for making Chilli and Butternut Squash Quesadillas
The great thing about quesadillas is you can fill them will any kind of vegetables or cheese so use up what you have in the fridge.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Working from home tips: simple ways to make sure you're still productive
These simple working from home tips are easy to implement and should make your daily tasks a lot easier to achieve
By Amy Hunt • Published
February new moon 2022—new moon in Aquarius says it's time to look at the bigger picture
February new moon 2022 in Aquarius says it’s time to start working on the vision board—here's what that means for your star sign
By Maria Sofia Marmanides • Published
The Gilded Age—everything we know about HBO’s new drama from Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes
HBO’s The Gilded Age boasts an A-list cast including Cynthia Nixon, Christine Baranski, and Meryl Streep’s daughter, Louisa Jacobson
By Jack Slater • Published