This chicken soup recipe is an easy-to-make kitchen staple. With a bit of ginger an chilli flakes, it is a tasty and warming healthy chicken recipe that feeds the whole family. If you need a smaller portion, you can always freeze the rest! That way you have delicious chicken broth waiting for you whenever you want a quick and nutritious warm healthy dinner recipe that's also a really low calorie recipe. For more cooking inspiration, have a look at our other delicious soup recipes.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SOUP
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot, leek and celery and sweat over a low heat until softened but not coloured. Add the ginger, chilli and star anise; cook for a few minutes. Season the chicken and add with the stock. Bring to a gentle simmer, turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently for an hour, skimming any scum off the surface with a spoon.
- Add the potato and pearl barley 25 minutes before the end of cooking and continue to cook, covered, for the remaining time. Add the peas and cook for another 3 minutes. Season, garnish and serve hot. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 5 slices root ginger
- 1tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 1 star anise
- 6 free-range chicken thighs, skinless and on the bone
- 2 litres (3½pt) good-quality chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- thyme and parsley, to garnish
Rebecca Smith was a Food Writer for Woman & Home and during her time with the magazine she was responsible for bringing an impressive array of mouth-watering recipes to womanandhome.com. These recipes ranged from slow-cooked Shoulder of Lamb and Hot Water Crust Ham Hock Pies, to sweet treats such as a delectable Chocolate Brownie Cake and intricate Pistachio and Rose Water cake.
Following her work with Woman & Home, Rebecca went on to become the Deputy Editor at Delicious Magazine.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Venus in retrograde 2022—How will it affect your love life, depending on your star sign
Venus in retrograde 2022 presents rare conjunction and the push you need to transform your love and sex life—but time is running out
By Stephanie Campos-Powell • Published
Emma Thompson on filming her first nude scene—'It's very challenging to be nude at 62'
Emma Thompson has opened up about her new movie Good Luck to You, Leo Grande which features the 62-year-old actress' first nude scene
By Laura Harman • Published
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment on wedding day revealed by lip-reader
Princess Eugenie's adorably awkward comment to husband Jack Brooksbank on wedding day revealed as a lip-reader decodes sweet moment between the couple
By Aoife Hanna • Published