- For the dressing:
- 2 small red chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2.5cm (1in) piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick lemongrass, outer leaves removed and finely chopped
- 3tbsp Thai fish sauce
- juice 2 limes
- 1tsp light brown soft sugar
- For the salad:
- 2 medium squid, cleaned
- 200ml (7fl oz) groundnut or other flavourless oil
- 200g (7oz) cooked peeled prawns
- 3 shallots, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into fine strips
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and cut into fine shreds
- 1tbsp mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1tbsp coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 50g (2oz) natural roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and mix well.
Score the squid on the inside of the sac. Brush with oil, then season with plenty of salt and pepper, and fry in a hot pan, scored side down, for 30 seconds. Turn over and remove as soon as it curls up. Slice the squid into strips and place it, with the prawns, in the dressing to marinate.
Heat the groundnut oil in a small pan and, when very hot, add the shallots and cook until brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
To serve, place the cabbage, carrots, spring onions and cucumber in a large bowl along with the squid, prawns, dressing and herbs. Divide between four plates. Scatter the crispy shallots and peanuts over the top.