If you’re looking for a healthy lunch recipe (opens in new tab) but are bored with your usual options, why not give this Vietnamese dish a go?
With plenty of spice, hoisin sauce and soy sauce, this sandwich is full of flavour and you’ll not forget it in a hurry.
HOW TO MAKE WATERCRESS SOUP
For the pork marinade
- 200g (7oz) British pork fillet, cut into very thin slices
- 1tbsp each soy sauce and honey
- 1½tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 star anise
- 1tsp Thai 7 spice
- 1tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
For the pickled vegetables
- 50ml (2fl oz) rice wine vinegar
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and ribboned with a vegetable peeler
- 75g (3oz) radishes, very thinly sliced
- 2 part-baked baguettes, cooked and halved
- 8 triangles of The Laughing Cow cheese (this is what they use in Vietnam!)
- handful each mint and coriander leaves
- lime wedges, to serve
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and toss the pork in them. Cover and leave to marinate for a few hours, or overnight if you can. For the pickled veg, mix the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt, and add the veg. Leave to pickle for a couple of hours, then squeeze out the excess liquid. These will keep overnight, but the colour will alter slightly.
- When ready to cook the pork, shake off the excess marinade and transfer the liquid to a saucepan. Fry the pork for 1 minute on each side until blackened and cooked through.
- While it's cooking, boil the marinade on the hob until you have a thick syrup consistency.
- Spread 2 triangles of cheese on to each baguette and top with slices of pork, a drizzle of the reduced marinade, pickled veg and herbs. Serve with lime wedges. These are best eaten immediately, but can be kept for up to 6 hours.
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
This unusual sandwich filling is said to be the Queen's favorite
The Queen reportedly has simple taste when it comes to her sandwich selections
By Lauren Hughes • Published
Queen Camilla's 'lucky' brooch dazzles as she cheekily munches sandwiches with Hollywood star during adorable outing
Queen Camilla's 'lucky' brooch and cheeky grin pleased a very excitable audience as she visited them for the most touching reason
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William spotted at local pub for cozy lunch date after work
Kate Middleton and Prince William spotted at a local pub in Windsor as the royal couple go on a romantic lunch date after work
By Laura Harman • Published