If you’re looking for a healthy lunch recipe but are bored with your usual options, why not give this Vietnamese dish a go?
With plenty of spice, hoisin sauce and soy sauce, this sandwich is full of flavour and you’ll not forget it in a hurry.
HOW TO MAKE WATERCRESS SOUP
For the pork marinade
- 200g (7oz) British pork fillet, cut into very thin slices
- 1tbsp each soy sauce and honey
- 1½tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 star anise
- 1tsp Thai 7 spice
- 1tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
For the pickled vegetables
- 50ml (2fl oz) rice wine vinegar
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1-2 carrots, peeled and ribboned with a vegetable peeler
- 75g (3oz) radishes, very thinly sliced
- 2 part-baked baguettes, cooked and halved
- 8 triangles of The Laughing Cow cheese (this is what they use in Vietnam!)
- handful each mint and coriander leaves
- lime wedges, to serve
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and toss the pork in them. Cover and leave to marinate for a few hours, or overnight if you can. For the pickled veg, mix the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt, and add the veg. Leave to pickle for a couple of hours, then squeeze out the excess liquid. These will keep overnight, but the colour will alter slightly.
- When ready to cook the pork, shake off the excess marinade and transfer the liquid to a saucepan. Fry the pork for 1 minute on each side until blackened and cooked through.
- While it's cooking, boil the marinade on the hob until you have a thick syrup consistency.
- Spread 2 triangles of cheese on to each baguette and top with slices of pork, a drizzle of the reduced marinade, pickled veg and herbs. Serve with lime wedges. These are best eaten immediately, but can be kept for up to 6 hours.
No mask, no problem at the Oscars: Academy Award guests will not be required to wear face coverings on camera
Here are the rules
By Danielle Valente •
You'll never guess how Kate Winslet's daughter has hidden her connection to her mother
Kate Winslet's daughter has decided to take up acting but used this one clever way to hide their connection
By Rylee Johnston •
The Jury has officially delivered a verdict for the Derek Chauvin trial
The jury has officially come to a unanimous decision for Derek Chauvin's trial over the murder of George Floyd
By Rylee Johnston •