- 2 large eggs, separated
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml (1/3pt) double cream
- 150g (5oz) turrón or nougat
- 50g (2oz) dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1tbsp runny honey
- 50g (2oz) pistachio nuts, shelled and roughly chopped
- For the chocolate sauce:
- 150ml (1/4pt) double cream
- 100g (4oz) dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp sweet sherry such as Pedro Ximenez or Old Olorosso
- You will need:
- 454g (1lb) loaf tin lined with clingfilm that overlaps the sides
Place the egg yolks, caster sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk until thick and pale. Whisk the cream until soft peaks form and set aside. Whisk the egg whites until very stiff. Chop the turrón into rough pieces, place in a food processor and whiz until crumbled. Add the turrón, chocolate, honey and pistachio nuts to the egg yolk and sugar base. Fold in the whipped cream, then fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour into the lined loaf tin and freeze overnight.
To make the sauce, place the cream in a saucepan and heat gently to boiling point. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until melted. Stir in the sherry.