By Jane Curran
If you’re looking for a classic dessert recipe that has more of a wintry touch to your usual Eton mess, give this version using tropical fruits a try. Using fruits that ripen well in the winter, this dinner party recipe is a great way to enjoy Eton mess all year round.
It’s quick, easy and will please any guests you’ve got coming.
HOW TO MAKE TROPICAL ETON MESS
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 2tbsp toasted chopped hazelnuts
- a selection of tropical fruit, chopped (such as mango, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya, kiwi fruit, pomegranate seeds, physalis)
- 300ml double cream, lightly whipped
- pomegranate molasses, to serve
You will need:
- 2 baking trays, lined with baking parchment
- Heat the oven to 150C, gas 2. Put the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on a slow speed until frothy. Increase the speed and whisk until very stiff, then start adding the sugar, a dessert spoonful at a time, until the mixture is very thick and glossy.
- Fold in 1tbsp of the hazelnuts. Spoon 12 heaped dessert spoonfuls of meringue on to the lined baking trays, allowing a little room for them to expand. Sprinkle the remaining hazelnuts on top and put the trays in the oven for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow to cool completely. You can store these in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.
- Mix ¾ of the fruit with the whipped cream and lightly crushed meringue very lightly to just combine, then spoon into glass dishes and top with remaining fruit. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses to serve.
The Queen won't watch Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview
The show will air tonight in the US and tomorrow in the UK
By Sarah Finley •
Louise Redknapp says she was snubbed by her celebrity pals after divorcing Jamie
Louise Redknapp has thanked Jimmy Carr for his friendship after her other famous pals snubbed her
By Robyn Morris •
Kate Middleton rewears £5 Accessorize earrings for latest video appearance
Kate Middleton has reworn a bargain pair of earrings she first debuted last year
By Robyn Morris •