This Spanish-style chicken bake from The Hairy Bikers is a one-pot wonder that's made with juicy chorizo, chicken and veg - perfect for a midweek supper or a weekend alternative to a weekend roast. Because everything cooks together, this really allows the flavours to come together nicely.
Serve on its own if you're counting calories, or with a fresh loaf of bread for a more indulgent meal. And we'd recommend a light and summery Rioja to complement the smokey Spanish flavours.
How many calories are there in the The Hairy Bikers' Spanish chicken bake
The Hairy Bikers are know for their low fat, yet great tasting, food. At 370 calories per portion, this is a dish you can enjoy even if you're watching your calorie intake!
The Hairy Dieters are passionate about creating tasty, but healthy, food that will allow you to reach your weight loss goals. Their recipe book, The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight,is packed full of low fat dishes that don't compromise on taste or flavour.
Recipe taken from The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight by Si King and Dave Myers, RRP £20
HOW TO MAKE THE HAIRY BIKERS' SPANISH CHICKEN BAKE
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.Put the onions, potatoes, garlic and tomatoes in a large roasting tin and season with sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Toss everything together lightly and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, skin the chorizo and cut the meat into thin slices – 5mm is about right. Put the chicken thighs on a board and carefully slash each one 2 or 3 times with a knife. Season all over with black pepper. Mix the paprika and oregano together and set aside.
- Take the roasting tin out of the oven, scatter the chorizo over the veg and turn everything a couple of times. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and chorizo and sprinkle with the paprika and oregano. Season with a little salt and return to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the tin out of the oven. Holding one corner carefully with an oven cloth, lift the tin a little so all the juices run to the opposite end, then spoon and drizzle the juices back over the chicken. Tuck the pepper strips loosely around the chicken and vegetables.
- Turn the oven up to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Put the tin back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until the peppers are just softened and the chicken is golden and crisp. As you eat, squeeze the garlic out of the skins and enjoy the deliciously soft and fragrant flesh. Just don’t kiss anyone afterwards!
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 500g new potatoes, quartered lengthways
- 8 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 8 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 75g chorizo (preferably picante)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½tsp dried oregano
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- Flaked sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bill and Melinda Gates to divorce despite ‘a lot of work’ to keep their 27-year marriage together
Bill and Melinda Gates no longer see themselves spending the ‘next phase’ of their lives as a couple
By Emma Shacklock •
Is Line of Duty season 7 happening? Here's what we know from Jed Mercurio and the BBC so far
Have we seen the last of AC-12? Here's what we know about Line of Duty season 7 so far
By Emma Shacklock •
Princess Eugenie shares adorable post featuring baby August to celebrate husband’s birthday
Princess Eugenie has shared an adorable post to celebrate Jack Brooksbank’s 35th birthday
By Laura Harman •