By Elisa Roche
This Moorish-inspired Sweet sherry blood orange chicken bake is perfect for dinner parties, thanks to its boozy kick.
Our one-pot sweet sherry blood orange chicken bake is comforting, flavoursome and easy to prepare. With fewer than 10 ingredients and only 10 mins of prep, if you’re looking for a delicious fuss-free dinner party option, this is perfect. Make sure you buy good quality chicken, as it will make all the difference in flavour and texture. Before cooking the chicken, bring it to room temperature. While this dish is delicious on it’s own, if you want to pair it with some sides, fluffy couscous is a great option to soak up the delicious cooking juices but crusty bread is a great option too. The chicken is cooked when a digital thermometer reads 74C and the juices run clear. For more easy chicken dinner inspiration, head this way.
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in an ovenproof casserole then fry the chicken, turning once with tongs, until golden on each side. Set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 5-10 mins, then add the garlic and continue to fry for 2 mins. With the heat down to medium, deglaze the pan with the sherry and orange juice. Now turn to a simmer for 5 mins before turning off the heat.
- Return the chicken to the pan, skin-side up. Add sprigs of lemon thyme and cook in the oven for 25 mins. Remove the skin, pith and pips of the whole oranges, and slice into 1cm-thick rounds. After basting the chicken with its own pan juices, scatter in the olives and orange slices, and return to the oven for a further 20 mins. Allow to rest for 10 mins, stir in the butter and serve.
- 6-8 chicken thighs
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 200ml sweet sherry
- 2 whole blood oranges, plus the juice of 2
- small bunch of lemon thyme
- 100g large, pitted green olives
- 15g butter
Top Tip for making Sweet sherry blood orange chicken bake
Use a mix of chicken thighs, legs and drumsticks if you like.
This is how to combat the negative effects low estrogen levels have on your skin
But don't worry—there's help
By Danielle Valente •
The 9 most empowering speeches by women in Oscars history
For a heaping dose of girl power
By Danielle Valente •
You might not know what the 'clavicut' haircut is, but get prepared to see it everywhere
Prepare to see this haircut everywhere this season for its chicness and simple care
By Rylee Johnston •