What’s more classically British than a lovely trifle recipe? Whether you’re hosting a special occasion, need a pudding to take to a barbecue or just want something tasty to serve up for the family this weekend this spring dessert recipe is just the ticket.
Plus, if you’re worried about serving up a heavy dessert and are looking for something a bit healthier, this trifle uses ricotta cheese to make it that bit lighter.
It’s a great way to make the most of the strawberry season from May too. Adding a splash of framboise to the mix really ramps up that brilliant strawberry taste too and make a wonderful combination when the sponge fingers soak up those lovely juices.
This recipe serves up to 10 people and can be prepped in advance so it’s a great one to make up if you’re entertaining and want something you know everyone will love!
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY AND RICOTTA TRIFLE
- 650g (1lb 7oz) strawberries, hulled
- 5tbsp framboise liqueur
- 100g (4oz) sponge fingers
- 500g (1lb 2oz) ricotta cheese
- 5tbsp icing sugar
- 2tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 50g (2oz) toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
you will need
- 1.7-litre (3pt) trifle dish
- Whizz 250g (9oz) of the strawberries to a purée then stir in the framboise liqueur. Lay the sponge fingers in the bottom of the trifle bowl, and pour over the purée. Slice the remaining strawberries and place on top.
- Whizz up the ricotta with the icing sugar and vanilla then spoon over the strawberries. Let it chill for 4 hours but even better if you can leave it overnight in the fridge. Scatter over the hazelnuts to serve.
Queen Elizabeth's grandson Peter Phillips and wife Autumn Phillips have officially divorced
Peter Phillips and his now ex-wife Autumn Phillips have finalized their divorce after announcing their separation back in February 2020
By Rylee Johnston •
Freedom Day delay confirmed by Boris Johnson—but weddings will still go ahead
21 June is dubbed Freedom Day—but the Prime Minister has confirmed it will not go ahead as planned
By Georgia Farquharson •
Princess Anne strays from royal etiquette rule in rare moment filmed inside her home
Princess Anne looked casual and relaxed
By Caitlin Elliott •