By Jane Curran
This summer fruits icebox cake uses the sweet flavour of strawberries and crunchy pistachios in a smooth ice cream mixture to create a showstopping dessert. Its vivid colours are so eye catching, and the taste will keep everyone coming back for more. All you need to do is stir together your ice creams, add the mix ins and toppings, assemble, and freeze. Take the icebox cake out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving so that it is easy to slice and ready for everyone to enjoy. This icebox cake is similar to a cheesecake, but taken to the next level. We have used a classic cheesecake base, but made a topping from a mixture of cream cheese and ice cream, as well as some pistachio nuts for that extra crunch, to make an easy but impressive freezable pud.
As well as being beautiful and impressive, this icebox cake can be prepared in advance and kept in the freezer, making your life much easier on the day.
We’ve tried a few different flavour combinations for these icebox cakes. Take a look at our Icebox Cake with Chocolate, Hazelnut and Salted Caramel and our Blueberry Swirl Icebox Cake for more inspiration.
HOW TO MAKE AN ICEBOX CAKE
for the base
- 150g digestive biscuits
- 75g butter
for the filling
- 250g coconut and lime ice cream, softened
- 50g cream cheese
- 50g toasted pistachios, chopped
- 250g strawberry sorbet
- 250g strawberry ice cream, softened
- Simply whizz up the biscuits in a blender, mix in the butter then press into a 18-20cm pie tin, bringing the mixture up the sides.
- Leave in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Mix together the coconut ice cream, cream cheese and half the pistachios. Spoon onto the base and level with a spoon. Put into the freezer.
- Once it’s frozen, mix the strawberry sorbet and strawberry ice cream together.
- Put onto the coconut base. Scatter over the remaining pistachios. Put into the freezer. Take it out 15 mins before serving.
Were Prince Harry and Meghan Markle paid to do Oprah interview?
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle could potentially make a huge sum from the highly-anticipated interview
By Emma Dooney •
Ben Affleck reveals how his divorce from Jennifer Garner helped him become a better actor
He shared how ‘intense personal experiences’ have made acting more ‘interesting’
By Emma Shacklock •
Princes Charles makes heartbreaking admission about his father Prince Philip
The Prince of Wales has concerns about his father, the Duke of Edinburgh, amid the global pandemic
By Aleesha Badkar •