Our strata recipe with spinach and bacon is the perfect feed-a-crowd brunch. Strata is a savoury bread and butter pudding that can be made the day before. This eggy breakfast bake is an Italian-American favourite and will become a staple in your household before you know it! Allowing this breakfast bake time to sit and chill means that the bread has time to really soak up the egg mixture, and all the flavours can intensify. Any strata recipe is best made with slightly stale bread. This is because its slight dryness allows it to soak up the eggs much better than fresh bread, and makes it a great use for leftover bread. We’ve used spinach, bacon, and gruyere cheese in our strata recipe, but you could try experimenting with other flavour combinations.
HOW TO MAKE STRATA RECIPE WITH SPINACH AND BACON
- Fry the pancetta in a pan until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon. Cook the onions in the same pan in the remaining fat. Add the spinach and cook through, then add the pancetta. Remove the mix from the pan and set aside.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and mustard in a large bowl.
- In a greased baking dish, layer a third of the bread, a third of the spinach and pancetta mix, then a third of the Gruyère, and repeat until the dish is full. Pour over the egg mixture and top with Parmesan.
- Chill for at least 4 hours, but it’s best left overnight. Heat the oven to 180C. Bake the strata for 45-55 mins or until browned.
- 150g pancetta cubetti or smoked bacon lardons
- 2 onions, chopped
- 300g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 eggs
- 600ml whole milk
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 500g ciabatta (slightly stale is best), cut into cubes
- 200g grated Gruyère
- 50g grated Parmesan
Vegan protein: alternatives to meat for a balanced plant-based diet
These tasty meat-free alternatives will keep you feeling full.
By Lauren Hughes •
Homemade brioche buns with lemon mayo prawns
Learn how to make soft buttery brioche buns at home
By Jessica Ransom •
Cheese and bacon hush puppies
Once you’ve tried one, you’ll be back for more!
By Jessica Ransom •
Prince William reveals which of his children is the cheekiest
Can you guess?
By Naomi Jamieson •
Martin Luther King Jr is remembered during turbulent time
His message is more important than ever
By Laura Harman •
Is this Kate Middleton's most popular lockdown hairstyle?
Choosing just one was tough, but we've crown this look Kate Middleton's most popular lockdown hairstyle.
By Fiona Embleton •