By Jane Curran published
Mince recipes are a great way to feed the family during the week as they’re easy, cheap and really versatile. Usually they don’t take too long and you can even make them ahead and freeze them if you know you’ve got a busy period coming up and want something in the freezer you can defrost and have for dinner without any fuss.
This delicious recipe is a great way to utilize beef mince and offers a great alternative to your usual minced beef recipe thanks to the addition of ginger, cumin and other spices that give it a lovely kick.
HOW TO MAKE SPICED MINCED BEEF
- Put the onion, garlic and ginger into the blender with 100ml (4fl oz) water and blend to a paste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the meat all over. Reduce the heat and add the onion paste and all the spices. Season well. Keep stirring over a high heat for a few minutes then add the tomatoes. Leave on a gentle simmer for 30 minutes. Stir the cooked rice through until it's fully heated. Add the coriander.
Serve with wedges of fresh lime, poppadoms and a tomato, onion and chilli salad (see below).
- For the salad mix together 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped, with 1 red onion, chopped, a good pinch of chilli flakes (according to taste) and juice 1 lime. Season to taste.
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2tbsp grated ginger
- 2tbsp oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) best-quality minced beef
- 10 cardamom pods, seeds only
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp coriander
- 2tsp cumin
- 2tsp black pepper
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g (9oz) cooked pilau rice
- 6tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Top Tip for making Spiced Minced Beef
This dish can be frozen fully cooked for up to one month. Defrost in the fridge before reheating, and add the coriander just before serving.
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Kate Hudson's new wallpaper is the stuff of dreams—it's time to redecorate!
Kate Hudson tagged wall covering company Arte in her latest Instagram post showing off her fabulous powder room
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
The best romantic movies to get your heart fluttering in 2022
This critic's picked the best romantic movies to get you through these dark winter nights
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle pay tribute to Princess Diana with new Delaware company
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have named their new publishing company after one of the late royal's favorite songs
By Emma Dooney • Published