By Jane Curran
Mince recipes are a great way to feed the family during the week as they’re easy, cheap and really versatile. Usually they don’t take too long and you can even make them ahead and freeze them if you know you’ve got a busy period coming up and want something in the freezer you can defrost and have for dinner without any fuss.
This delicious recipe is a great way to utilize beef mince and offers a great alternative to your usual minced beef recipe thanks to the addition of ginger, cumin and other spices that give it a lovely kick.
HOW TO MAKE SPICED MINCED BEEF
- Put the onion, garlic and ginger into the blender with 100ml (4fl oz) water and blend to a paste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the meat all over. Reduce the heat and add the onion paste and all the spices. Season well. Keep stirring over a high heat for a few minutes then add the tomatoes. Leave on a gentle simmer for 30 minutes. Stir the cooked rice through until it's fully heated. Add the coriander.
Serve with wedges of fresh lime, poppadoms and a tomato, onion and chilli salad (see below).
- For the salad mix together 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped, with 1 red onion, chopped, a good pinch of chilli flakes (according to taste) and juice 1 lime. Season to taste.
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2tbsp grated ginger
- 2tbsp oil
- 500g (1lb 2oz) best-quality minced beef
- 10 cardamom pods, seeds only
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp coriander
- 2tsp cumin
- 2tsp black pepper
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g (9oz) cooked pilau rice
- 6tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Top Tip for making Spiced Minced Beef
This dish can be frozen fully cooked for up to one month. Defrost in the fridge before reheating, and add the coriander just before serving.
Gillian Anderson shares adorable photo with David Duchovny as The X-Files fans go wild for Mulder and Scully reunion
The Crown star reunited with her old on-screen partner to introduce him to her beloved pooch Stella
By Selina Maycock •
The Queen carried these sentimental items in her handbag at Prince Philip’s funeral
The Queen kept Prince Philip's memory alive at his socially-dsitant funeral on Saturday
By Emma Dooney •
Introducing our exclusive new beauty club - woman&home Beauty Counter
Enjoy complimentary beauty products, curated for you with no subscriptions or fees
By Fiona McKim •