- 85g (3½oz) light muscovado sugar
- 85g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp allspice
- 85g (3½oz) sultanas
- 85g (3½oz) dried cranberries
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 250g (9oz) unsalted butter, softened
- you will need
- 2 baking sheets, lightly oiled
Heat the oven to 170 C, 150 C fan, 325 F, gas 3. Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the beaten egg then the butter and mix together with a wooden spoon.
Place balls of cookie dough the size of a large conker on to the baking sheets, leaving space in-between each one as the cookies will spread in the oven. Flatten them down slightly to form thick discs.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until slightly firm and golden around the edge. Leave to cool and harden briefly on the baking sheets before placing the cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.
Top Tip for making Spiced Cranberry Cookies
To give as a gift weigh the dry ingredients into a Kilner jar then just add a little card with instructions on how much butter and egg to add and at what temperature to bake the cookies.