Put a little twist on a firm classic by adding bacon to your smoked haddock fish pie. This is a really luxurious fish pie option that's perfect for a dinner party when you want something a little more special but less heavy than a traditional roast or intricate meal.
Serve this recipe up with a side of green veg like peas or magetout, or if you'd like, you could also serve it up with a side of salad leaves. Guests will love the unique flavour combination and will be asking for seconds, so make sure you've made enough to go around!
How to make Smoked Haddock and Bacon Pie
- 850ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 black peppercorns
- 800g smoked haddock
- 150g streaky bacon, chopped
- 50g butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 2tsp wholegrain mustard
- 150g mature Cheddar, grated
For the topping:
- 1kg floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g butter and 100ml milk
- 50g mature Cheddar, grated
- Heat the oven to 160C fan, gas 4. Heat the milk, bay and peppercorns in a pan, add the fish and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the fish; discard the skin. Cool the liquid; strain and reserve 500ml. Fry the bacon with the butter until crispy, then remove with a slotted spoon.
Cook the leek for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then add the mustard. Gradually pour in the poaching liquid, stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Stir in the Cheddar. Scatter chunks of the fish in a large pie dish, then the bacon. Pour over the sauce.
For the topping, steam the potatoes for 15 minutes. Mash with the butter and milk; season. Spoon over the fish. Sprinkle over the Cheddar; bake for 35 minutes.
Shop the secret sale featuring one of Meghan Markle and Jennifer Lopez's favorite designer bags
Meghan Markle and Jennifer Lopez have been seen sporting this well-known brand
By Rylee Johnston •
This TikTok ab dance is going viral—but you should know this before you try it
Read before attempting!
By Danielle Valente •
This bra brand caters to small-chested women—and shoppers are obsessed
For a supportive bra without the discomfort of wires, Pepper's wireless bras have quickly become a fan-favorite of shoppers
By Rylee Johnston •