This lovely cheesecake makes a wonderful spring dessert recipe that your guests will just love.
HOW TO MAKE RHUBARB AND GINGER CHEESECAKE
For the base:
- 150g (5oz) Duchy Original Stem Ginger biscuits or Ginger Nuts, finely crushed
- 60g (2 ½ oz) butter, melted
For the filling:
- 400g (14oz) forced rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm (1in) lengths
- 1tbsp stem ginger syrup from the jar
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 300g (10oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 150ml (1/4 pt) sour cream
- 2 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
You will need:
- a 20cm (8in) spring form tin, base lined with baking parchment
- For the base, place the biscuits and butter in a bowl, stir well then press into the base of the tin. Chill whilst you make the filling.
- Put 50g (2oz) caster sugar, stem ginger syrup and 1 tbsp water in a wide shallow pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the rhubarb and poach gently for 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is just cooked when tested with the point of a knife. Do not allow the rhubarb to go mushy. Place a sieve over a bowl and drain the rhubarb well. Reserve the juice.
- Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, 350F, gas 4.
- Place the remaining 50g (2oz) caster sugar in a mixing bowl with the cream cheese, eggs, egg yolk, cornflour, lemon zest and sour cream. Beat until the mixture is thick and smooth. Scatter the stem ginger over the biscuit base and then evenly cover the base with the drained rhubarb. Pour the cream cheese mixture on top and smooth the surface. Give the tin a couple of sharp taps on the worktop to remove any air pockets. Place on a baking tray and cook on the middle shelf for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 150C, 130C fan, 300F, gas 2 and cook for a further 25-30 minutes. The outside of the cheesecake should be firm and the centre should still be wobbly. Remove from the oven, run a round bladed knife around the outside and leave to cool, then chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight.
- Whilst the cheesecake is cooking, place the reserved rhubarb juices in a small pan and cook over a gentle heat reduced to a thick syrup. Leave to cool. To serve, remove the cheesecake from the tin, slice and spoon a little rhubarb syrup over each slice.
Don't miss out! Macy's flash sale has up to 60% off home styles—here are our top picks
For a limited time, Macy's is offering up to 60% off all of their home styles to upgrade your space with
By Rylee Johnston •
Is This Is Us new tonight? Here's when Season 5 Episode 14 will air
Fans are desperate to know when This Is Us Season 5 will return following multiple breaks
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Take a look at Zara’s new outdoor range of camping gear
Zara’s new outdoor range has launched and it even includes camping equipment, so you can camp in style
By Laura Harman •