By Jane Curran
HOW TO MAKE RED VELVET ROULADE
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 125g caster sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tsp red food colouring (we used Wilton Christmas Red, from
- , amazon.co.uk or cake decorating shops)
- 25g cocoa powder
- 25g cornflour
- white chocolate curls and edible gold glitter, to decorate
For the cream cheese frosting
- 280g cream cheese, drained of any liquid
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- tbsp lemon juice
You will need
- a 33x23cm Swiss roll tin, lined with baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and food colouring; whisk gently until combined. Sift in the cocoa and cornflour and fold in gently.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, but not dry; fold in 1 large spoonful to slacken the mix, then fold in the remaining egg whites, gently but thoroughly. Pour into the tin; level the surface. Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch.
- Cover the roulade with a large piece of clean baking paper and invert onto a board. Remove the base paper and roll up in the clean paper. Set aside to cool.
- For the frosting, beat half the cream cheese with all the butter, icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add the remaining cream cheese and beat until light and fluffy. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Unroll the roulade and spread on some cream cheese frosting. Roll up again and use a palette knife to spread the remaining cream cheese over the log and decorate with chocolate curls and edible glitter.
The Queen's childhood friend reveals touching details about the young 'Lilibeth' in never-before-published diaries
The journal entries of the Queen's childhood friend, Alathea Fitzlan Howard, have been published in The Windsor Diaries
By Emma Dooney •
William and Kate announce exciting new project: 'we're on YouTube!'
Introducing Prince William and Kate Middleton's YouTube channel...
By Lucy Abbersteen •
That viral photograph of Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter actually has a very logical explanation behind it
Joe Biden and Jimmy Carter have gone viral because of a very unusual photo
By Laura Harman •