By Jane Curran
For a classic dessert recipe that makes a wonderful treat to any dinner party menu, why not try this delicious poached pear recipe?
We’ve used sparkling wine to really ramp up the fancy feel to this recipe, and the result feels a little bit like a sundae for grown ups thanks to its sweet but boozy flavour. What’s more, this recipe may look indulgent, but it’s actually really easy to make and only takes an hour plus a little time to chill. It might seem like a long time for a dessert, but the finished result is completely worth it.
This poached pear recipe serves four people, so it makes a great dinner party recipe that you know everyone will love.
HOW TO MAKE POACHED PEARS WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 75cl bottle sparkling wine
- 190g caster sugar
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 pears, not too ripe, peeled and left whole
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
For the chocolate sauce:
- 50ml double cream
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- knob of butter
- 150g plain chocolate, broken into small pieces
- You need a pan where the pears will stand up snugly together. Put the wine and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar. Add the cardamom and pears, and some water, if needed, so the pears are just covered. Simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Cool then chill in the fridge until required.
- For the chocolate sauce, heat the cream, syrup and butter then pour over the chocolate. When melted, whisk together. Put a pear in a serving dish, add the ice cream and pour over the warm sauce.
Meghan Markle has decided not to have a baby shower for this reason
No lavish celebrations this time around
By Danielle Valente •
Alex Rodriguez speaks out for the first time since J.Lo and Ben Affleck reunion
News of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck has spread, and now Alex Rodriguez is finally saying something
By Rylee Johnston •
Celebrity-favorite brand Rag & Bone is having a huge secret sale right now
Saks Off 5th is having a secret sale on Rag & Bone, a celebrity-favorite of Katie Holmes, Jennifer Anniston, and Jennifer Garner
By Rylee Johnston •