By Jane Curran
For a classic dessert recipe that makes a wonderful treat to any dinner party menu, why not try this delicious poached pear recipe?
We’ve used sparkling wine to really ramp up the fancy feel to this recipe, and the result feels a little bit like a sundae for grown ups thanks to its sweet but boozy flavour. What’s more, this recipe may look indulgent, but it’s actually really easy to make and only takes an hour plus a little time to chill. It might seem like a long time for a dessert, but the finished result is completely worth it.
This poached pear recipe serves four people, so it makes a great dinner party recipe that you know everyone will love.
HOW TO MAKE POACHED PEARS WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 75cl bottle sparkling wine
- 190g caster sugar
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 pears, not too ripe, peeled and left whole
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
For the chocolate sauce:
- 50ml double cream
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- knob of butter
- 150g plain chocolate, broken into small pieces
- You need a pan where the pears will stand up snugly together. Put the wine and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar. Add the cardamom and pears, and some water, if needed, so the pears are just covered. Simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Cool then chill in the fridge until required.
- For the chocolate sauce, heat the cream, syrup and butter then pour over the chocolate. When melted, whisk together. Put a pear in a serving dish, add the ice cream and pour over the warm sauce.
Shoppers say these high-waisted leggings are the softest they've ever owned — and they're now 45% off on Amazon
With over 50,000 reviews, these fan-favorite leggings tout a laundry list of bragging rights — here's why they belong in your closet
By Dominique McIntee •
Michelle Obama’s 'Becoming' has been re-released for a younger audience
Michelle Obama’s 'Becoming' has been re-released with a new lovely message for her younger audience
By Laura Harman •
This Marks & Spencer ribbed loungewear set has shoppers obsessed with its soft and cosy fabric
This M&S cosy loungewear set is perfect for eating chocolate eggs in comfort...
By Selina Maycock •